Sunday, September 14, 2008

Front Deck

Time for an update. We have had quite a number of people comment on our driveway. The concrete was done by Mark from Montrose Concreting. It is a Random pattern for all of those that wanted to know. The color is charcoal. We will seal it with a bluestone color in about 6 months when all the rough areas are worn.

I think we will need to do some landscaping...


This weekend I started to dig out the front area as this was bringing lots of dirt into the house. This was Friday - I took a day off work.

A trip down to Bunnings to buy the material and the making of the frame started.
Saturday was a great day weather wise. It looks a bit messy and was a bit tricky getting everything lined up but I got there eventually.
Sunday morning and I had the frame all bolted together. Some of the ground is concrete and the rest dirt so I needed different foundations for each area. I bought steel brackets and also concreted some posts into the ground.
The porch above is open deck so the area gets wet. I have added some water protection to the joists and bearers. We plan on changing the porch to stop water coming through later on.
Finally starting to lay the deck late Sunday afternoon.

Its not all nailed yet. I will try and finish off during the week. It makes a huge difference walking out the front door.
A little extra added to the Pantry. I've also added the door handles to the old cupboards we put in.
I cut down the blinds to fit the windows. It wasn't too hard. Just use a hack saw and take it slow. It's a lot cheaper than having them made to fit.
We've also put up the towel rails.



Just like a hotel.
Marita has also been busy assembling the cot and change table.

We just need to buy a mattress to fit.

4 comments:

Bernadette and Perry said...

Great to see an update. Well done with the decking. We have been working on decking too (what are the chances?)

I'll put some photos up soon.

Carolyn Childs said...

You don't waste any time ! The decking looks great !

2 dishwashers - now I'm envious !
What a great idea !

I can vouch for your `just like a hotel'-ness - Thanks !!! CC

Toni said...

Well done with the porch Mike, it looks great! Thanks for the info on the driveway too ;-)

Great idea with the 2nd dishwasher .....wish I had of thought of that. Did you get one from PD with your promo? If so, how is it?

Putting things together for the baby, How exciting!!!!! Yes we'll all be clucky now.......

Petal said...

Driveway looks excellent (it'd want to - it's HUGE!!!) and you've done another sensational job on the decking, Mike!

Oh, that cot makes me clucky, too - very exciting time for you guys!